Anyone can make a sweet zucchini bread… Try something different!
Well, it’s that time of summer once again when you probably have a plethora of zucchini ready to use RIGHT NOW! August 8th is National Sneak a Zucchini onto your Neighbor’s Porch Day so that’s one way to use some up. Or you could bake up a batch of bread with those delicious and oh-so-versatile veggies. Everyone has a tried-and-true sweet Zucchini Bread recipe, but do you have one for a savory Zucchini Bread in your recipe box?
Here is an easy & deliciously simple recipe. Feel free to experiment with different cheese like a nice sharp cheddar, a creamy gouda or asiago and parmesan depending on your preference. Also play around with your fresh herbs. We like chives for this recipe, but you can use whatever herbs you have an abundance of—thyme, basil, sage, or rosemary, or a mix of whichever suit your fancy! Pair a bit of basil & a little rosemary with the parmesan & asiago, try some fresh sage with that sharp cheddar (add a small pinch of cayenne for a little kick!). This recipe has a lot of latitude, so have fun & mix it up!
Pepper Jack, Herb & Zucchini Bread
2 cups grated & lightly squeezed zucchini
4 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives
2 large eggs
3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
1 1/2 cup grated pepper jack cheese
2 cups all-purpose flour (plus a bit more for dusting the pan)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350° Grease and lightly flour a standard loaf pan
- Melt butter and set aside to cool slightly
- In a large bowl, stir together zucchini, chives, eggs, yogurt & butter
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt in a separate small bowl
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the zucchini & herb mix
- Fold in the grated cheese
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until a knife slipped into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Top with a bit more grated cheese and a sprinkle of fresh herbs and pop back in the oven for an additional 10 minutes